Citizen’s Perception Of Road Services
Road infrastructure is key to socioeconomic development. A reliable and affordable road transport system will enable trade and employment opportunities in both urban and rural communities as it facilitates the movement of goods and services in all sectors of the economy.
Availability of Road Network
• 82 percent of respondents have road networks in their community while 18 percent said they did not.
• There is a marginal increase of 2 percent in the proportion of respondents who did not have road network in the mid-term in comparison to the baseline.
• 82 percent of respondents said there had not been any new road constructed in their communities.
Access to Tarred or Sealed Road Network
• 58 percent of respondents have access to tarred or sealed roads near their home.
• As many as 42 percent of citizens said their homes were far from a tarred of sealed road.
Efficiency of Roads
Citizens were asked to express their opinion on the efficiency of road network in their community, the maintenance of existing roads, actions taken by the MMAs during flooding and other problems on the road, the conditions of street lights and the connectivity of the road networks in the MMAs were used as proxy for measuring the efficiency of road services in MMAs.
• 66 percent of respondents said road services in their communities were inefficient whilst 30 per cent said they were efficient representing an increase of 12 percent from the baseline.
Overall, 58 percent respondents were unsatisfied with the measure of efficiency.
Quality of Roads
The quality of roads in MMAs was measured by the size and width of the road, the size and width of drains and the presence of cracks and holes on the road. Citizens’ were asked to evaluate each of these aspects of road in their municipality to ascertain the quality by indicating their satisfaction or otherwise based on their experience on the road.
• 61 percent of respondents were dissatisfied or very unsatisfied with all the aspects of roadquality, only 37 percent were satisfied or very satisfied.